Poker is a popular card game that can be played, for example, with a friend or even in a big company. And if you are risky and adventurous, than be sure to figure out and understand all the rules!
How did poker appear?
History of poker goes back almost to the Middle Ages, because some people think that this game is more than 450 years old. But the first mentioning of a similar game dates back to XVI century. It appeared in Europe, and was at first played in Spain, Italy and France, but the rules were slightly different. There was a time when poker was considered almost the national game of the United States. And the name is probably derived from the English "pochen", which translates as "to knock".
What do I need to play poker?
Poker games require a deck consisting of 52 cards.
The number of players can vary from two to ten.
Goal of the game
Goal of the poker game is to become the owner of the bank. And this can be achieved by different actions, the selection and sequence of which will depend on your strategy as well as on the cards you get.
How to play poker?
Online Poker is not the most difficult game, but it is not as simple as it might seem at first glance, because in order to play it and win you will have to watch out for the other players and use your knowledge of psychology, think logically and read the moves in advance. Poker game rules for beginners will help figure everything out.
In the classic (the so-called Texas) poker, each player receives two cards. And after the deal betting begins, which consists of several rounds. Distribution and collection of bet money (or chips) are performed by the so-called dealer, who is the host. In order to encourage everyone to play active, he may take bets from two players to the left before the betting starts.
So, when all cards are dealt, the first betting round begins. Each player evaluates his hand and can take the following actions depending on the combination:
- Bet, i.e. make a bet.
- Call, which means matching the bets - bet as much as his rival.
- Raise, that is betting more than other players.
- Throw away all cards which means refusing further participation in the game.
- Skip the turn, which means not making bets, leaving the bank unchanged. This is possible, for example, if you have already placed a bet or other players have not made any bets yet.
The first betting round ends when all players have made equal bets (i.e., matched them), or folded their cards. If more than one person is left after the first round, then three community cards (the flop) are put on the table. They can be used to produce new combinations. Then a new betting round is conducted.
If after the second round there are still a few people in the hand, one more community card called the turn is laid out on the table. After that betting starts again.
If after the second round of the game there is more than one player, the last community card is laid out - the river. Then final round of betting begins. And if the bank is claimed by more than one player, then all the participants "showdown", that is, reveal their cards. The winner is the one whose combination is considered to be winning.
There is another way to win: to place the bet that none of the players will be able to match. In this case, all participants can simply fold.
Poker hand rankings
So, the following hand combinations are possible in poker (they are listed in ascending order, that is, beginning with the minor):
- High Card - the lowest combination. If you do not have a single match, then you have to take high cards into account. An ace is considered of the highest rank.
- One pair - a combination of cards of the same rank (value), for example, two sixes, two jacks.
- Three of a kind - three cards of one rank, two on player's hand and one on the table. Trips is like a set, but differs from it in that one card is in your hands, and another is on the table.
- Straight - combination consisting of five cards in sequence with the ace possible to be counted as one. And if two players have straight combination, then the higher one wins.
- Flush - five cards of same suit, but their order is not considered. If this combination is possessed by several players, the one with higher value (rank) is considered winning.
- Full House - a pair and three of a kind. If such a combination is possessed by two or more players, the combination that is higher in three of a kind, but not the pair, wins.
- Four of a kind - four cards of the same rank, for example four eights or four Jacks. The combination of the higher rank is considered the winning one.
- Straight Flush - five cards of the same suit in an ascending sequence.
- Royal Flush - the highest combination, which consists of five highest cards of the deck of the same suit in sequence, that is, ten, jack, queen, king and ace.
The terminology used in poker
In order to make playing poker easier for both guys and girls, it is better to learn the most common terms used by experienced players in advance. Here are some of them:
- Blind – The first forced bet made "blindly", which players make before the betting round starts. Thus, the initial bank is formed, causing other participants to behave more actively.
- Move - it is your action.
- Ante - the same as the blind.
- All-in - means betting all your chips or money, thus risk losing. But if no player matches the bet, you have a chance to win.
- Bankroll - this is the amount a player spends in the process of the game.
- Bet - a standard bet.
- Big Bet - a huge bet.
- Bad Beat - The situation in which a strong hand loses to the higher and more significant one.
- Board - all the community cards in the game, i.e. the flop, the turn and the river together.
- Button – the player's chip, which is used in positional poker games to determine the sequence of moves and player strategies.
- Buy-in - the so-called entry fee, i.e. the amount that the player has to pay to participate in the game.
- Bluff – it is quite an interesting psychological move. For example, the player can be intentionally raising bets, while not having the best cards. But other players will see the situation differently, and some of them who are afraid of losing can fold. Thus, the bluff can win if the others do not "see through".
- Call – answering or matching the bet made by the previous player.
- Cut-off - a member who sits next to the dealer (the host) on the right.
- Chip leader - the player who has more money or chips.
- Check – this is a pass. You may not make a bet if the previous player had not made any also.
- Draw - this is a game with a combination, which is not yet winning, but may become one, if the player is lucky enough to receive the right cards.
- Fish –a beginner.
- Shark - an experienced and tricky player.
- Freeroll - tournament which does not require the entrance fee.
- Heads Up (Head to head) - a game for two players.
- The kicker – an unpaired card used to determine the winner among players with equal combinations.
- Maniac - A player placing bets regardless of the cards.
- Overcard – a card higher than any other card on board.
- Outs - cards remaining in the deck that can improve your position in the game.
Playing poker for money
If you plan on playing poker for money, these are three potential scenarios:
- Limit poker. A specific limit of the maximum bet is set.
- Pot-Limit poker. There are limitations as well, but players enjoy much more freedom.
- Thus, the maximum bet can not exceed the total size of the pot.
- No-Limit poker assumes placing bets of any size.
Poker game recommendations
Tips for beginners:
- If you are playing for the first time, it is advisable to take the last position of the table to be able to watch the rest of the players, evaluate their moves and gradually delve into the essence of the game.
- To quickly learn how to play poker, you need to try yourself, to participate in the games, as that is the only way you will be able to fully understand the rules.
- If you do not know how to play poker and there is no possibility to arrange games with friends often, then you should try to participate in online competitions. The advantage of such is that you can choose the appropriate level. For example, the game is held among the beginners.
Start playing and you will soon understand how fun and exciting it is!